Saturday, August 7, 2010

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle


I actually made this card earlier in the year for a Demo Swap where the theme was to find something in the great outdoors and re-purpose it on a card. At the time, I took photos of the whole process while making the card because I thought: "This would be a great blog entry...for the blog I have yet to create...someday". So, because this card was originally intended to go on my blog (eventually), I wanted to add it.

This was a bit of a tough challenge for me, as those who know me are aware- I'm not a gal that one would classify as "outdoorsy"! For example, my idea of camping involves indoor plumbing and a Hilton! Then one Sunday morning, while going outside to pick up the newspaper off my front porch, I saw it...

A little piece of the fern in our front landscaping jumped out at me. It was the only piece that looked like it had just given up in the Texas heat, so I cut it off and took it inside determined to create something from it. It sat on my desk for a while as I mulled over what I could possibly do with it. Then it hit me, I wanted to use this fern as the background on my card design.

I applied Always Artichoke classic ink directly from the ink pad to the fern, then placed the inked side of the fern down on Very Vanilla cardstock and rolled my brayer over the back (uninked side) to distribute the ink to the paper. I then inked it up again and kept repeating the process, while making a random pattern, until I was happy with the way it looked.

I decided on the retired set, Sidekick Sayings for my sentiment simply because it had the "earthy-feel" that I wanted. Added some other earthy elements like the hemp twine, tearing and beads. In the end, really liked how it all came together.

As a result of this project, sadly, I am not any closer to wanting to sleep under the stars and become "one" with nature (...still sticking with the indoor plumbing, thanks). I do however, look for creative inspiration all around me, every day. You never know where you might find it!

Stampin' Up! Supply List:

Stamps: Sidekick Sayings (retired)

Ink: Always Artichoke classic ink, Gable Green classic ink, for watercoloring leaves (retired)

Paper: Always Artichoke cardstock, Basic Gray cardstock, Very Vanilla cardstock

Accessories: Always Artichoke 1/4" grosgrain ribbon, silver brads, hemp twine,

Non-Stampin' Up! Supplies: fern "stamp", fern patterned paper (made from 70% recycled material to keep it "green"), beads, silver eyelets

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment!
Have a great day! :)
Anne Marie